Costco’s salmon burgers are a delicious and nutritious meal option that is quick and easy to make. With high amounts of protein, healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals, these burgers make for a satisfying dinner or lunch. This comprehensive guide will provide tips and instructions on the best cooking methods to make tender and flavorful Costco salmon burgers at home.
An Overview of Costco’s Salmon Burgers
Costco sells fresh and frozen salmon burger patties in the seafood section that are made of wild-caught Alaskan salmon. They come pre-seasoned with spices and herbs like garlic, onion, salt, and pepper so all you need to do is cook them up. The burgers are also enhanced with lemon and parsley for extra flavor.
Each Costco salmon burger patty weighs approximately 4 oz. and contains 180 calories per serving. With 0g carbs and 19g of protein, they make a superb high protein, low carb meal. The healthy fats from the salmon provide anti-inflammatory omega-3s as well.
When buying the frozen salmon burger packs, note that each box contains 6 patties so you can easily stock up. The fresh burger packs usually contain 4 uncooked patties that need to be cooked within 1-2 days.
Nutritional Benefits of Costco Salmon Burgers
Here are some of the top nutrients you get in each Costco salmon burger:
- Protein: 19g. Salmon is one of the best sources of protein which helps build muscle, repair tissues, and keep you feeling full.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: 1.4g. Heart-healthy fats that lower inflammation and triglycerides.
- B-vitamins: Costco salmon burgers contain niacin, vitamin B12, and vitamin B6. These support energy levels and metabolism.
- Selenium: 47mcg. An important antioxidant mineral.
- Potassium: 350mg. Essential for nerve signaling and water balance.
Compared to beef burgers, Costco’s salmon burgers are lower in saturated fat and calories. The wild salmon also provides superior omega-3 content. Enjoy them guilt-free!
How Are Costco Salmon Burgers Made?
The main components in Costco’s salmon burgers include:
- Wild Alaskan salmon: Provides the bulk of the protein and healthy fats.
- Seasonings: Onion powder, garlic, parsley, lemon juice add lots of flavor.
- Binders: Small amounts of breadcrumbs or eggs hold the patties together.
- Canola oil: Added for moisture and cooking.
The wild keta salmon gives the burgers their signature orange-red color. Costco salmon burgers contain minimal fillers and no preservatives. They are made simply to highlight the salmon’s rich taste.
Feel free to add any extra spices or herbs like cayenne, dill, pepper, oregano to the patties before cooking. This can provide a flavor boost.
Cooking Time for Costco Salmon Burgers
Costco salmon burgers cook up quicker than beef and can be prepared by grilling, pan frying, baking, or air frying. Here are the approximate cooking times:
- Grilling: 8-10 minutes
- Pan-frying: 4 minutes per side, 8-10 minutes total
- Air frying: 12-15 minutes at 400F
- Baking: 18-20 minutes at 375F
Refer to the times on the packaging as well for frozen vs fresh. Frozen patties take a few minutes longer.
Always cook the burgers until the internal temperature reaches 145F-155F to eliminate bacteria. If reheating cooked burgers, heat up to 165F.
How to Cook Costco Salmon Burgers on the Grill
Grilling is one of the quickest and healthiest cooking methods to use for Costco’s salmon burgers. Follow these simple steps:
- Preheat your grill to medium heat, about 350F.
- Lightly oil the grates using cooking spray or brush with oil. This prevents sticking.
- Place the salmon burger patties directly onto the hot grill grates.
- Grill the patties for 4-5 minutes on the first side until grill marks appear.
- Flip over and grill for another 4-5 minutes on the second side.
- Check that the center of the burgers reach 145°F for medium doneness.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 2 minutes before serving. The burgers will continue cooking slightly off the grill.
The patties should have nice grill marks and edges but still be moist inside when done. Add any toppings and enjoy!
Pan-Frying Costco Salmon Burgers to Perfection
Pan frying is another fast and easy way to cook up Costco’s pre-seasoned salmon burgers. Follow these steps:
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil or canola oil to coat the pan bottom.
- Once hot, add the salmon burger patties and pan fry undisturbed for 4 minutes.
- Flip the patties over with a spatula and pan fry the other side for another 3-4 minutes.
- Press down gently with the spatula to ensure even browning.
- Remove from heat once the burgers are nicely browned on both sides and the centers are 145°F.
- Let the Costco salmon burgers rest for 2 minutes before serving up this tasty meal!
Pan frying gives the salmon burgers a nice crispy exterior while keeping the inside tender and juicy. Add any extra seasonings like lemon pepper or Cajun seasoning to the uncooked side before flipping for more flavor.
Bake Costco’s Salmon Burgers to Perfection
For a hands-off cooking method, baking Costco’s salmon burgers in the oven is easy. Here is a simple recipe:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange the salmon burger patties on the baking sheet evenly spaced.
- Bake for 10 minutes on the middle oven rack.
- Remove from oven and gently flip the patties over.
- Return to oven and bake for another 8-10 minutes until the centers reach 145°F.
- Remove from oven and let the patties rest for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Baking gives the Costco salmon burgers a nice caramelized exterior while keeping them moist inside. Add a drizzle of olive oil or melted butter on top for extra richness. Bake alongside fresh veggies for a complete meal.
Air Fry Costco’s Pre-Made Salmon Burgers
Air frying is a quick and healthy way to cook frozen foods like Costco’s pre-made salmon burgers. Follow these easy steps:
- Pre-heat your air fryer to 400°F.
- Add the frozen salmon burger patties in a single layer, without overcrowding.
- Air fry for 6 minutes. Then flip the patties and air fry 6 more minutes.
- Check the internal temperature, and air fry 2-3 more minutes if needed until 145°F.
- Remove air fryer basket and let the patties rest for 2 minutes before serving.
The circulating hot air will make the patties crispy on the outside while keeping the inside tender. Air frying eliminates the need for added oil too. Enjoy the quick salmon burgers on a lettuce wrap or bun.
Oven Cooking Instructions for Costco’s Pre-Packaged Salmon Burgers
Costco’s frozen salmon burgers come pre-packaged with oven cooking instructions on the box. Here is a typical cooking method:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove plastic wrap from salmon burger tray and place tray on middle rack.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until the burgers are cooked through and reach 145°F internally.
- Remove tray, tent with foil and let rest for 2-3 minutes before serving.
Always refer to the package instructions as cook times can vary. The pre-formed patties and small size helps them bake up quickly. Letting them rest finishes the cooking process. Enjoy these convenient Costco salmon burgers for dinner in under 30 minutes!
How to Cook Frozen Costco Salmon Burgers
Cooking frozen Costco salmon burgers is easy. Follow these tips:
- No need to thaw the burgers before cooking. Cook them directly from frozen state.
- Preheat oven or grill completely before adding frozen patties.
- Cook the first side for longer, for about 6 minutes. Then flip and cook second side.
- Check the internal temp with a meat thermometer after flipping. Cook until 145°F.
- Let the burgers rest for 2-3 minutes before serving for juicier results.
The pre-made frozen salmon burgers require similar cooking times as fresh. Just remember to flip them periodically and cook the patties thoroughly until the centers are hot enough.
Serving Suggestions for Costco Salmon Burgers
Costco salmon burgers pair well with many sides and toppings. Consider these healthy serving suggestions:
- Serve on whole wheat buns or wraps with lettuce, tomato, and sliced avocado.
- Enjoy on top of a fresh green salad or salmon burger bowl.
- Pair with oven fries or sweet potato wedges and dipping sauce.
- Top with salsa, goat cheese, or sautéed mushrooms for extra flavor.
- Make salmon burger tacos with shredded cabbage and chipotle ranch.
Don’t overlook these tasty burgers in your weekly meal prep. They cook up quickly and provide a satisfying, high protein meal full of healthy fats.
Costco Salmon Burger Cooking FAQs
Where can I buy Costco salmon burgers?
Costco sells fresh and frozen salmon burger patties in the fresh fish and frozen seafood sections of select warehouse stores. You can also order them on Instacart or the Costco website.
How much do Costco salmon burgers cost?
A 6-pack of frozen wild salmon burgers costs around $12-$18 depending on your location. The fresh burgers cost a bit more per pound.
Can I cook the salmon burgers from frozen?
Yes, you can cook the frozen salmon burger patties without thawing. Just increase cook times slightly.
How do I know when the burgers are fully cooked?
Check that the thickest part of the salmon patties reach an internal temperature between 145°F – 155°F. Then remove from heat and let rest for 2 minutes before serving.
With their stellar nutrition stats and convenience, it’s no wonder Costco’s salmon burgers are so popular. Grilling, pan frying, baking or air frying all result in tender, flaky salmon patties the whole family will love. Reference the cooking times outlined and use a food thermometer for perfectly cooked salmon burgers ready in under 30 minutes. Enjoy this quick protein-packed meal on a bun, over greens or with veggie sides for a satisfying and healthy dinner option.
Hi, I’m Ben Holland. I love cooking, traveling, and spending time with my family! Here you’ll find simple and delicious recipes, travel tips, and stories about my adventures with my wife and kids.